6.07.2012

Medical Assesment

Lisa, Connie, Alex and myself did medical screening of all the orphans at the Melanie center. We purchased medications for them such as antibiotics. Surprisingly to me the kids looked fairly healthy. I attribute that to the love and care Jon and Maria (orphanage administrators) have given these kids. A couple did have some pretty bad scalp infections. The children also commonly suffer from a parasitic worm locally know as the "moticainia". I cleaned and dressed wounds on quite a few folks. Another day "medical clinic" day was held at the Melanie Center for anyone and everyone from the community. It was a long day, but oddly comforting because helping people medically is what I do for a living and I felt right at home going to work. I was very heartbroken one day to discover several children from the village had intestinal parasites because they were eating dirt in hopes of keeping their bellies full.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you are able to fulfill one of your mission dreams and are able help people. You will be remembered by them for years. You make me cry reading what you wrote about the kids eating dirt. It reminds me of how blessed we are. I love you, Dave!
    Love your MIL,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete